KLANG began their journey in 2015 with the development of the KLANG:fabrik and its leaner version, the KLANG:vier. Since that time, many users of KLANG’s immersive in-ear monitoring system have continued to rely on this hardware for their 3D mix implementation. Whilst additional options such as DiGiCo integration and smart peripherals like the KLANG:Kontroller have been enthusiastically adopted, KLANG power users have been left waiting in anticipation for a new leap in the standalone unit space.
That leap has finally been made, with KLANG’s recent introduction of the mighty KLANG:konductor, a 3RU immersive in-ear mixing processor heralding a new era of 3D monitoring. The KLANG:konductor is KLANG’s most powerful and versatile solution to date, delivering futureproof connectivity and a high-end mixing system capable of 16 separate immersive mixes.
Designed with monitor engineers and fixed installations in mind, the KLANG:konductor offers processing of 128 input signals at up to 96kHz, with an extraordinary processing latency of less than 0.25ms.
“Our combined R&D teams were able to squeeze in twice as much processing power in a single 3RU device as found in any of our previous processors by using the latest, super-fast FPGA cores,” CTO Benedikt Krechel explains. “Many of our customers value the I/O flexibility that our first KLANG:fabrik offers, but we know they need to quickly adapt to different I/O situations when touring through different countries. KLANG:konductor considerably extends this flexibility and lets the user choose I/O on the fly.”
The front of the KLANG:konductor features a 7-inch colour touchscreen allowing for direct mix control, monitoring meters, audio setup and options. A front-mounted network port provides Power over Ethernet for connection of a KLANG:kontroller or KLANG:quelle, and dual redundant power supplies offer further reliability. The rear of the KLANG:konductor offers 3 x DMI slots, providing unrivaled I/O freedom and absolute integration into a plethora of existing setups.
For example, two DMI-MADI cards allow 128 input channels and mixes to be returned to a console; and one DMI-Dante card can connect the mixes to KLANG:kontrollers. Paired with integral single channel routing capabilities, it also allows the user to freely route between the immersive mix engine and convert between different DMI formats, such as Optocore, Dante or MADI. Each DMI card offers up to 64 input and output channels, at both 48kHz and 96kHz.
“KLANG:konductor is the Swiss Army Knife of audio format conversion and becomes very handy as an interface for virtual sound checks or multitrack recordings, at the same time as being used as an immersive processor,” says KLANG’s co-founder, Dr. Pascal Dietrich.
Offering intuitive control via KLANG:kontrollers and seamless integration into DiGiCo’s control architecture, the KLANG:konductor is designed around each individual mix being quickly accessible, along with fast access to system and master settings.
While not all headphone amplifiers are suitable for low impedance in-ear monitors, KLANG:konductor offers the same studio grade headphone amp as those in the KLANG:quelle- allowing engineers to directly monitor and route their console’s cue output to it and seamlessly switch to a KLANG cue via the app.
“Immersive in-ear mixing has become increasingly popular, having proven to deliver crucial benefits to musicians by providing a natural listening experience and removing the feeling of isolation on stage,” says Pascal Dietrich. “KLANG:konductor is our most powerful and most flexible processor so far, and gives both engineers and musicians an immensely powerful, yet simple to use system, that delivers all those benefits and more.”
- 16 immersive In-Ear mixes
- 128 inputs channels
- 3 DMI card expansion slots (e.g. for Optocore, MADI, Dante)
- Arbitrary single channel audio routing (between DMI cards and engine)
- Ultra low latency through cutting edge FPGA technology
- Integrated Studio Grade Headphone Amp for Monitoring
- Workflow integration with DiGiCo SD and Q series consoles
- Compatible with KLANG:app, KLANG:kontroller and other KLANG processors
- 7″ touch screen with full KLANG:app control
- KLANG’s root intensity EQs
- 1/4 ms processing latency (without IO cards)
- 2 x USB port for software updates and preset exchange
- 1 x Studio grade headphone amp with volume control
- 7 inch color touch display
- Dual redundant Power Supply
- 1x RJ45 Front Ethernet port with PoE delivery
- 2x RJ45 EtherCON Control Ethernet ports
- 1x RJ45 EtherCON Ethernet LINK port
- 128 Inputs / 16 Mixes @ 48 and 96kHz
- Word Clock input and output
- 192×192 channel audio network router
- Weight: 6.3kg | Size body: 43.5 / 13.3 / 26.8 cm
- Front panel: 48.5cm | 19″ | 3Rus